Tired of living in a home with damp, mould, and leaks?

Here's everything you need to know about making a claim for compensation.

Call    0 7866 303 303  today for a FREE consultation!

Frequently Asked Questions

Housing disrepair is when a property needs essential repairs in order to be fit for human habitation. As a tenant, you can claim compensation for a leaky roof or heating system, damp and mould on your walls, floors, or ceilings, and an unsafe or outdated electrical system.

Your landlord is legally responsible for carrying out basic repairs in your home under section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. As long as the damages are caused by something that’s out of your control – such as a leaky roof, a damaged gutter, or a defective building structure – you can claim for disrepair.

If you’ve reported the problem to the Council or Housing Association and the damages haven’t been repaired, you can take legal action as long as:

  • The property is owned by the Council or Housing Association
  • The property is situated in England or Wales
  • You have proof (photo evidence) of the defects
  • No other solicitor has dealt with the case before
You’ll need to provide photographic evidence of the defects in your property, such as mould on the walls and ceilings, or damage from a leaky roof. Only then can you make a claim for housing disrepair.

We work on a no win, no fee basis. This means that there are no upfront costs or hidden charges, and you only pay if your solicitor wins the case.

Every case is different. The total amount of compensation you can claim will depend on factors including the severity of the damages to your home, and how they’ve affected you. Typically, you’ll be awarded around 10% to 50% of your annual rent.

Claiming compensation with ClaimSpot is simple:

  • First, we collect all of the relevant information required to build your case
  • Then, you sign the agreement either electronically or in person – whichever you prefer
  • Next, we conduct a FREE visual inspection of your home to check for any damages
  • Finally, a specialist team appointed by the Council will repair any damages to your property, leaving with you a safe and healthy home

Ready to make a claim for housing disrepair? Simply fill out the form on our contact page or call us on 07866 303303. You can also speak to a consultant via our online chat.

Ask our experts

have a question that you can't find the answer to? FIll out the form below and our friendly team will get back to you as soon as possible.

We’re available 24/7, 365 days a year

Ready to get the compensation you deserve?